DIY Coffee Filter Wreath


It's Craft Sunday time! Or Craft Monday....?? Anyway, here's my tutorial on this gorgeous wreath! I made one for my Mom and one for my Mother In-Law for Mother's Day last week. They turned out so pretty I might have to make one for myself! --After recooping of course, they're a lot of work!!

Coffee Filter Wreath

Supplies you'll need:
- 1 foam wreath (I got mine at WalMart)
- about 1.5 yards of ribbon (depending on the length you want)
- 3-4 different colors of acrylic paint
- between 200&300 coffee filters
- 1 roll of masking tape
- a hot glue gun
- a pair of scissors


First, mix your paint with water until you have a milky consistency. Then dye the coffee filters by dunking them in the paint and letting them sit for a few minutes. You can dye 20-30 filters at a time.


After they've sat for a minute, wring them out and hang them up to dry. If you have a clothes line to hang them on that's awesome! I just basically used my entire apartment. This specific photo is of our headboard. Haha.


Once the filters have dried, take 3 at a time (you can use anywhere from 2-4 but I find 3 to be best) and stack them on top of each other. Fold in half once and then again so you have a triangle shape. Then cut the outside into scallops like a flower. Next cut the triangle into 2 parts (photo #2) When you unfold the filters you should have 3 rings and 3 small circles.


Take the 3 circles and twist them in a figure 8 to make the center of the flower. Take about 18 inches or so of tape and tape them down as shown. Next cut a slit in the rings and starting with 1 ring, tape the first end down and ruffle the filter as you tape it down. Do the same with the other 3 rings, leaving a little tape at the end.


Now, starting at the end with the twisted centers, roll the tape up, shaping the flower as you go along. When you finish you'll have a beautiful paper flower. Cut the tape on the bottom so it's flat enough to glue down. Now repeat, repeat, repeat until you have enough flowers to cover your wreath.


Once you've exhausted yourself making flowers, it's time for the next best part; hot gluing them to the wreath. (I covered my wreath with fabric before beginning to glue).


The last step is to tie your ribbon to the length you want it and glue it to the back of your wreath. Then you're all done!! Tah Dah! A totally gorgeous wreath made out of simple coffee filters!

Both my Mom and my Mother In-Law hung theirs on the front door. I think it would also look gorgeous simply hanging on the wall.

I also gave both Moms a refill of Bath and Body Works' wallflowers. I painted an egg carton to store them in and made tags with scrapbook paper and ribbon for a more personal touch.




0 comments:

Post a Comment